Wednesday, July 16, 2008

It has been a while...

I can remember it like it was just a few weeks ago..."I do not have time to do a blog. If you want one you will have to do all the writing!" Famous last words! Lindsay has done a great job keeping our family activities well documented. We have hopes of using the service that is on blurb.com (I believe) where you can convert your blog entries into a book. Who knows how it works and if it is good, but the idea is great. What a great way to look back on what you have done...especially for the kids to see what it was like when they were younger.

I, Robert, was in Chicago all of last week. I went there for a trade show to sell (well show) our outdoor furnishings line (we will have a new and improved website in the coming few weeks which will show our new complete line). It is a little company we started about 2 years ago by the name of Thompson and Elm. We sell outdoor furniture, and home and garden accessories. We have come a long ways, but still alot of work to do to break into this industry. Anyways, we left for Chicago early Monday morning arriving a bit past lunch. We went straight to our booth where we proceed to unwrap 15 pallets that was shoved in a 600 sq ft space. It took us the rest of that afternoon and the next day to unpack and set the space.


The Merchandise Mart, Our booth as we unpack, and then the finished product!

Unfortunately, I carried a little virus with me to Chicago. I was nauseated all day Tuesday...I knew what was coming because my nephew Cole had it on Thursday, My mother and father in law had it over the weekend and my other Nephew was lucky enough to have it next. I made it through the day because there was no choice but to set the booth. I finally had to leave Rick, one of my coworkers, to finish the booth at around 4:15. The Lord kept me well enough to make it through the day, out the large merchandise mart, down 8 city blocks, up the hotel elevator (the slowest in Chicago) and back to my room before I had to endure the rejection of everything I had eaten the past 24 hours...(that was the nicest way I knew to say I threw up!) It is amazing how you can feel better after such an experience!

On Wednesday the show started, but out of respect to my other 2 coworkers (well they told me to stay away) I had to sit around the hotel...Not much fun. During the day I was able to finish the 2nd half of a book I was reading called The Heavenly Man. Quite an eye opener to what the church, and specifically what this man in China has endured over the past many years under the Communist rule. Just to be a follower of Christ. We have it so easy, but are we using that to our advantage? Brother Yun has now left China and is working on a new initiative called Back To Jerusalem. China is training up missionaries to spread the word to all the unreached people between China and Jerusalem. Pray for them, it will not be easy.

If you knew me well you would know that I have not spent much time reading, but recently Lindsay and I have decided to eliminate TV from our week. We tivo any shows that might be worth watching for the weekend. My hope is that we will spend that time being productive. Spending time with the girls, with Lindsay or just reading somthing to grow personally. Therefore, I finished one book and it is now time to start another...Crazy Love by a pastor in California, Francis Chan. You may have seen something like this before, but go to his website and watch the video titled "the awe factor of God". Pretty amazing...How big is our God! I will let you know how the book is after I finish...

Ok, back to the trip...Later on that evening I did meet up with Deland and Rick and a customer for my glorious comeback...I proceeded to enjoyed a perfectly cooked 8 ounce Filet Mignon at the Weber grille restaurant. Probably not the best choice of food less than 24 hours later, but I was hungry to say the least.

The show turned out to be light in attendance, but we think we had some quality visits with customers that were serious about our product and concept...Here is Deland and Rick passing time as the show winds down on Friday.




Then after 6 days of Chicago we were back home where the most precious 3 women came and suprised me at the airport...what is better than seeing your 3 yr old girl run for you b/c she truly missed you and is excited to see you!

Just a plug for Chicago...We stayed downtown in a clean, but dumpy hotel...but the downtown area where we were was nice and clean...It was 80 degrees with no humidity. Every where you looked there were beautiful plantings of flowers...It sure beats market in Atlanta.

Have a great day!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just caught up on your blog - great to read all the latest news.